Following last night’s earthquake which hit Lombok island, Asian Trails Indonesia would like to update you on the current situation and we are working to try and minimise the impact on our guests currently on Lombok and the Gili Islands.
- Currently there are 82 reported deaths which we believe to be locals, with no fatalities to foreign nationals currently reported.
- The North East of Lombok where the earthquake hit was the most affected.
- Some hotels in Senggigi area and on the Gili Islands have received some light damage, but fortunately no one has been harmed. Most guests slept outside on elevated ground due to the risk of further tremors and a tsunami warning which since has been lifted.
- There is currently a lack of boats from the Gilis to Lombok mainland but we are already moving affected guests from Gili islands to Lombok since the early morning hours and make sure that they are in safe hands until they can board the next flight.
- We are now waiting for the government to confirm extra flights out of Lombok and will look to move clients off of Lombok once these flights are confirmed.
- The earthquake was felt quite strongly in Bali and some minor damage has been reported on the island, but Bali is considered safe, with no reported casualties.
We will be in contact with agents who have clients on Lombok and the Gili islands, as well as those due to travel to Lombok to discuss the options available and provide the best possible solution for them.
Please bear with us a while we await news from the government regarding the extra flights from Lombok and for us to find alternative accommodation for clients upon their return to Lombok.
We would like to stress that although the earthquakes can be felt from Bali that is considered to be safe and we do not foresee any cause for concern with clients currently in Bali.
We are monitoring the situation closely and will update you accordingly.